Before your arrival


There are three options to come and study at université de Caen Normandie :

Degree-seeking students (free-movers)

Études en France, Espaces Campus France, Parcoursup, E-candidat, prodécure DAP… There are many different ways to apply to UNICAEN, depending on your country of origin and of your prior level of studies.
To find out which procedure applies to your personal situation, you can have a look at the dedicated page (in French)

Exchange students (Erasmus+, OFNEC, ISEP, …)

Contact your university’s International relations department to find out if you are eligible for an international mobility program with UNICAEN.

Study French

Find out how to register for the University Diploma of French Studies (DUEF) on the course page.

UNICAEN does not offer scholarships to international students. However, you may be eligible for other types of funding.

Applications for scholarships should be made prior to your arrival and not once in France.

Crous grants : Only international students who have been living in France for at least 2 years and who can prove that they have had a tax household in France for at least 2 years are eligible for Crous grants based on social criteria.

Once you have received your nominative letter of admission (which can be downloaded on your online profile for students following the Etudes en France procedure), you must apply for a student visa, using your online Etudes en France profile.

If your country of residence is not connected to the Campus France network, you must then contact the French consular authorities of your country of residence to submit your visa application.

The France-Visas simulator “Do I need a visa?” helps you know if you need a visa, what type, and what procedure you need to follow in order to apply.

Long Stay Student Visa valid as residence permit (VLS-TS étudiant)

It allows you to study in France for a period of four months to a year. When it expires, you must apply for a residence permit to stay in France.

It gives you the right to:

  • travel freely in all countries of the Schengen area
  • work 964 hours a year
  • receive housing benefits (VISALE, CAF etc.) and social security
  • extend your stay beyond the validity of your visa by applying for a residence permit at the local Préfecture

As a visa cannot be amended once in France, it is very important to apply for a visa fitted to your projects in France (studies, internship, competition etc.) before your departure.

If your programme involves compulsory mobility within the European Union, you must present a mobility certificate from the university to the consular services in order to obtain a student mobility visa. This visa will allow you to study in the European Union without having to apply for a visa for the country where you will be study in.