English version > The university


The university



Founded in 1432 by Henry VI, King of England, the University of Caen Normandy is one of the oldest French universities. Its main campus (in Caen) is classified as historic monument.

The university was destroyed during the 1944 bombings, and reconstructed according to the plans of architect Henry Bernard, under the supervision of Chancellor Pierre Daure.

The main campus (Campus 1) was inaugurated in 1957. It reflects post-war reconstruction techniques and an innovating vision related to space layout and to the establishment of University life in the city.

An outstanding cultural heritage
5 centuries separates the Quoniam Bull from the university reborn as a Phoenix. This continuity is the result of the works of Pierre Daure. An amphitheatre bears his name. When the university was reconstructed, works of art were ordered to chosen artists.

The artistic heritage of UNICAEN
Louis Leygue, Charles-Emile Pinson, Henri-Georges Adam, Jean Picart Le Doux, Raymond Subes, Louis-Marie Jullien, Yvonne Guégan, Jacques Pasquier, André Bizette Lindet, Françoise Bizette, Samuel Papazian, François hubert, Pierre Auvray. Many artists whose works punctuate the interiors of the University of Caen Normandy.

Map and directions
Download the brochure (pdf - 270 Ko)

Download page

Last update : July 26, 2016



UNICAEN
Université de Caen Normandie
Esplanade de la Paix | CS 14032 | 14032 CAEN cedex 5